Friday, January 30, 2009

Burn after eating


Did I say I like that burning sensation at the posterior the morning after having Indian curries? Sorry, I lied. I don't. It sucks. It is a horrible feeling.

After the last post, I felt that it was timely for me to get some real curry. So I went for the easy option - Ganges Indian Restaurant, which is a stone's throw from home. But it was by no means a poor choice just because I was a lazy twirp. Ganges won the best Indian restaurant award in a local expat magazine last year.


It was not hard to see why. It has three branches in Beijing alone. And as McDonald's have shown, if you have a lot of outlets, your food must be good. But unlike the Golden Arches, Ganges comes with a wide selection of more than 150 dishes. As it proudly claims, it offers "all your favourite Northern Indian recipes, highlights from the Southern Indian style of cooking, and the latest from the exciting fusion style of modern Mumbai." Yes, rest assured that even though it tries to look Chinese with red lanterns next to chandeliers, it is authentically Indian.


Need further evidence? Well, it has Indian waiters. That's usually a good sign. And their food is spicy too. Being kind to Chinese who might not be too hot on spiciness, there is even a legend to warn off non chilli fans. But since I am a true blue Singaporean who takes to chilli like frog legs to porridge, the legend merely encouraged me to go for the maximum pain.

Three chillis for me! Yes sir, bring it on. Nothing less will do. The Chicken Vindaloo (48 yuan) was one of the few marked for maximum spiciness and it was my sadistic choice. It did not disappoint. Together with my fragrant Vegetable Biryani (38 yuan), it was a lovely combination. The biryani used Basmati rice, mixed with pieces of boneless chicken and it was not oily. KF ordered the Lamb Rojan Josh and picked Onion Naan (15 yuan) to go with it and he said it was delightful too.


The only downside to Ganges was the snooty service. The waiters were overbearing, urging us repeatedly to order more dishes, especially the expensive ones. When I preferred the local Tsingtao beer (15 yuan a mug) instead of the imported Tiger draft (35 yuan), the waiter actually snorted and quickly walked off, seemingly in disgust. Seriously, why would I want Tiger in Beijing? Asshole.

Speaking of assholes....the Vindaloo made sure I remembered it the next morning. I shall not elaborate. The rest, as they said, is lavatory.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, never eat Indian food in china when you can have it cheap in singapore... :P

it's just like eating Beijing Duck when you are back in singapore..

I once ate at this indian rest in the Lido Area (this is an expat enclave also, yes, your bro from time to time will go to an expat enclave)..

http://www.dianping.com/shop/509378

from what i remember, or rather the only thing i remember is I have an explosive time in the toilet...

Macgen said...

Dude, you have explosive time in the toilet with or without the Indian food man. So blame it on your arse.

I like this restaurant that you went to. I believe I went to the same one, but at China World instead. Not bad! Will blog about it the next time I am there.

Unknown said...

You're damn lame. How can you have spicy shit only after eating Vindaloo? That's nowhere near to Ma La Huo Guo and that's another story....anyway after your post I am inspired to eat Indian food tonight to cheer myself up. It's been raining non-stop here in the dungeon!!

Unknown said...

By the way, did you watch Burn After Reading? The only thing I'm looking forward to is watching Slumdog which will hopefully open this weekend here....sigh I am homesick and depressed, and trying to have a conversation with you on your blog. SIGH.

Macgen said...

Why do think I have this title for the blog post? Of course I watched Burn After Reading. Nice film. Very Coen Brothers. May be too intelligent for you though,

My Forbidden Stomach doesn't react to Ma La Huo Guo. I think it is a Chinese tummy.

Anonymous said...

Haha at last you are begining to sound more like a blogger than a journalist :p
312

Anonymous said...

can i just say again, mr peh, that i looooove your blog?