Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Gentry sushi bar


After Yotsuba, you can kiss conveyor belt sushi chains good bye. There is no chance in hell that you will ever go back to those days of coloured plates where you ate like an assembly line proletariat. You have stepped into the world of aristocratic sushi.

Like an exclusive country club, Yotsuba makes sure that entry is not taken for granted. I first heard about the restaurant from a friend who said that he tried twice, but failed to get into the tiny 14-seater place. Usually, I hate such pain in the ass establishments who are too much of a pain in the ass. If it takes too much pain to pay to eat, I am taking my stomach somewhere else.

But somehow, I was piqued by Yotsuba and its reputation of fresh seafood air flown daily from Japan and a Japanese sushi chef serving to an exclusive group. Maybe it is because fresh seafood is so hard to come by in Beijing. Seriously, if you want to do the pervy Jap thing of eating sushi off a naked woman here, it is probably easier to find the nude lady than fresh sushi. (Don't be a perv and start looking for one. The ever moralistic Chinese government banned it in 2005, no kidding!)


So I tried - to get a seat at Yotsuba that is. First call to make a reservation found that it is fully booked for a few days. And it is open only for dinner. There are three tw0-hour seatings, starting from 5pm. If you want the prized 7pm slot, you may have to sleep with the sushi chef. I decided not to be a slut and settled for the ungodly experience of having dinner at 5pm.

At first look, Yotsuba didn't inspire much confidence. Shutters were down and it seemed like a restaurant that would prefer not to be seen. But once I stepped in and ordered my first sushi, I knew that there was no need for it to flaunt with neon lights and screaming signboards. Word of mouth alone would be enough.



Sitting by the sushi bar, I placed my orders directly with the chef: "Sushi, unagi, yes." Every piece that I placed into my mouth blew my mind. Yellowtail, tuna, mackeral, it didn't matter what I ordered, they were just awesome. The chef placed a piece in front of me each time he was done with one, and I swallowed them so fast it seemed he had tossed the sushis directly into my mouth. They were so good I decided to take smaller bites with each piece so that I could savour the freshness of the sashimi and the fragrant vinegared rice.


At about 300 yuan per person (not inclusive of alcohol), Yotsuba (10-6467-1837) is not cheap by local standards. But for two hours of absolute sushi bliss, it is a price worth paying.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much is 300 yuan in SGD? Or rupiah? Ahahha. Sorry.
Hey when I come, you have to take me there. Then when you come, I'll take you to eat ramen here after you finish LS-ing from your first few meals here.
I just recently found a good ramen place here and last night after rushing to file my Obillary story I promptly went there to makan cos I was soooo hungry. And then I found out it is open till 1am on weekdays!! Woot! So it's not like super awesome fantastic ramen but by JKT standards, it is the place to go when you crave steaming hot noodle soup with lots of vegetables (tau gay and butter corn I love you) with this v nice preserved salted egg thing they have. And ocha to wash it all down. So yummmmy.

Macgen said...

300 yuan is about S$65. If you come, and be the naked woman to eat sushi off, maybe the chef will give you discount of 5 yuan.

Ad brought me to a lovely teppanyaki place in Jkt some years back. You should ask him where that is. Good Jap shit.

orangeclouds said...

Mr P!! I found your blog through Crummb. And you've discovered Yotsuba!!! *salivates at the memory*

Ok have you been to Manzo? That's another Japanese dive I like. See http://www.manzo-dining.com. Lots of nice tofu and fried dishes. I also like the ramen at Lai Lai Ken (来来轩), it's at 新源西里中街8号. These are three most satisfying restaurants I found in BJ for Jap food. Oooh, looking forward to comparing notes.

orangeclouds said...

oh hehe forget to say that this is Clare. haha.

Zann said...

mr peh! i'm so glad i found your blog through tpl! but alas, can only read, cannot eat all the yummy food you are writing about!

Macgen said...

Hey Clare! Yes yes we must compare notes. Manzo looks v v nice, thanks!
I think I am going to try Lai Lai Ken this weekend. Can't resist a good ramen! :)

Zann, come visit me lah, it will be a makan feast!

Anonymous said...

wonderful to have you here in beijing, peh. hope it is becomes warmer soon and then i will be less apprehensive when i am out.