Saturday, June 13, 2009

Bird bird yakitori


I really should apologise for not posting in the last few weeks. But I'm not going to. The Chinese government should be the one saying sorry. Those dicksters bloody hell banned Blogspot recently, making it damn troublesome for me to access my blog, not to mention post on it. So my legions of fans here in Beijing, I'm afraid you won't be able to check out The Forbidden Stomach for some time. Let's hope those dicksters lift the ban soon.

Enough complaining. Let's talk about something happy - Tori Tei, a Japanese yakitori restaurant. Its Chinese name is 鸟亭, which literally means Bird Pavilion. I know it may be childish, but somehow, I find it a really funny name. No self-respecting restaurant in Singapore would be caught dead with "bird" as its name. I think it has something to do with the fact that the Hokkien phrase for "penis" sounds just like the Hokkien word for "bird". So back home, it is quite common for parents, especially those from my parents' generation, to refer to a young boy's missile as "bird bird" (yes, in English!).


Not that I would ever try to tell the Tori Tei boss to change the name. Given how good the business is, I doubt he would really care if his restaurant reminds a cock Singaporean of penis. Check out the packed house.


I have been to Tori Tei three times and this tiny hut was always packed - usually with lots of Japanese men. That, as always, is the surest sign that this joint meets the high standards of the Japanese. You don't see a lot of Japanese at Yoshinoya, do you?

With the BBQ-ing done just next to the tables, smoke truly does get in your eyes if you are seated rather near the pit. But the smoke, the cosiness of the eatery, the loud chattering by the Japanese execs make the restaurant special. In the company of fellow white-collared workers knocking back whiskey and beer, it is the perfect place to unwind after a long day in the office.


The best way to enjoy Tori Tei, in my opinion, is to order a whole variety of yakitori in one go, some bottles of Asahi or Kirin (only 15 yuan per bottle!) and just sit back and enjoy the evening. I would highly recommend the chicken wings (my favouritest), sliced pork belly, chicken balls (tsukune), chicken liver and also the mackerel - superbly well done with a crispy skin and tender meat. But to be honest, everything is good. If you are adventurous, go for the chicken cartilage (nankotsu) too.


I have never ordered any of the noodles or rice, but if you are an old grandmother who must have your carbo, the gyoza is lovely. And rest assured that the ramen is good stuff too. Tori Tei belongs to the same boss as Original Come House (remember??), and you can have your choice of Miso Ramen etc. Isn't this place wonderful?


Budget about 70 yuan per person, including alcohol. For top-notch yakitori, it is a steal. It is not easy to find the place so here's the number 10-6461-4513 to call for directions. Be sure to make a reservation too. But if you really can't get a seat, go to the adjacent Original Come House and order the yakitori from there. The name is just as funny, but it won't be half as fun.

8 comments:

liang said...

Good to have you back on board...i can vouch for the chicken wings...it's really "No Horse Run"!

Wish I am back in beijing now...

orangeclouds said...

Me too. Boy do I remember the yakitori place and how it warmed my belly on many a cold winter's night. I take it the Bird Pavilion has moved and is no longer inside 新源西里小区?

Ok, no, I don't really wish I am back in Beijing, but I don't mind being teleported there just to eat hahaha. And oh, I had budae jigae recently at the very restaurant in Sg that you recommended, yup, not bad indeed. Am starting to fall in love with Korean food....

Macgen said...

Liang, Asahi beer with the chicken wings - truly "No horse run"!

Orangeclouds, I think Tori Tei is still in the same 新源西里小区. It is right next to the Original Come House! Not an easy place to find, especially right now with lots of road works in that area.

I can imagine how nice a refuge it will be during winter!

Budae Jigae rocks!! If you find better ones in Spore, please tell me. :)

Lynn said...

To be honest, I can't decide if I would rather be in Beijing or Tehran where the govt can control internet access or in Jakarta where there is no control but internet service here is like mind-blowingly retarded, so much so that I have not watched ANYTHING on Youtube in six months. Anyway, I agree with you that Japanese men are the best arbiter of 1) good Japanese food 2) safe apartments. There are many living in my building now and it's what made me decide to live there too..cos if its good enough for nihonjin, its good enough for me. Cos it means that the place would be minimalist, simple and earthquake-proof. I am going to a Jap-dude-frequented makan joint tonight! So excited!

Macgen said...

It's still Beijing for me. At least the streets are safe at night. But it is bloody irritating that I cannot access YouTube and Blogspot freely. And typing some "sensitive" words may cripple my Internet connection.

For those who like to quibble which political system is better, I think the answer is rather clear. If the system is so great, why be afraid of online criticisms?

I need my cold cold Asahi now to get rid of the Monday blues.

Laremy said...

Hehehe! I've added you to my Google Reader feed because you're so funny!

Liang said...

"If the system is so great, why be afraid of online criticisms?"

Yes, I hope PAP will not be so afraid of criticisms... :P

Hi Laremy, not only is MacGen funny, he looks funny too!

Macgen said...

Hey Laremy, welcome welcome to The Forbidden Stomach! Feel free to come back Own Time Own Target. :p

Liang, the paramilitary force here in Beijing is called People's Armed Police, aka PAP. Haha.