Saturday, November 7, 2009

All-Star burger


I have not blogged for three months, and of course, it is not my fault. The darn Chinese government still refuses to lift the ban on Blogspot and it has been having a big buffet of events, leaving me with more meal times with Maggi than Maison Boulud.

But fret not, my dear clan of fans. The Forbidden Stomach is back from its three-month long diet! And it just ate a whopper of a meal. I have been wanting to try the All-Star Sports Bar & Grill ever since I read that Californians tagged its hamburgers as the next best thing to In-N-Out's.

Its burgers have also been named by a local magazine as the city's best last year. So naturally, I went for the cheese hotdog.

Thankfully, my friends had the good sense to order the All-Star Hamburgers and thankfully, I was shameless enough to just pinch their burgers. It was quite lovely and the reviews did not over hype it. There was horseradish and that gave it an extra bit of zing and the buns were well grilled with the edges dark brown and crispy. There was also a nice big juicy slice of tomato, which is always a treat for me. Add in a splash of hot sauce, and it is quite the perfect burger.


Can't say the same for my cheese hotdog though. It was decent enough, but nothing to shout about. If the hamburgers can match California's In-N-Out, the dogs aren't even close to Manhattan's Gray's Papayas. The side dishes were disappointing too. Coleslaw seemed to have some odd spices and the slim fries were nowhere close to McDonald's famed golden crisps.

But for the burger and the 65 plasma screens that broadcast just about any sports events in the world, it is worth a trip to this rather quiet and lonely strip by the edge of Solana Centre. It is supposed to operate round the clock, but call to check (10-5905-6999).

1 comment:

autumnberries said...

hey! welcome back! and i managed to get into your blog just in time too!