Friday, June 26, 2009

Belly belly warm


Summer is here and Beijing is so bloody hot that I almost wish for winter to return. When such moronic thoughts enter my mind, I know I am close to a heat stroke as the mercury approaches 39 degrees celsius.

In times of such unbearable sauna, I look to the locals to find ways to get used to the heat. Here's what I have learnt.

One, roll your T-shirt up to your chest, revealing your belly. Ladies can try it too. I have seen young Beijing chicks doing it. Sexy, right?


Two, do not switch on the air-conditioner. That's what most Beijing taxi drivers do. Some people tell me it's because they want to save petrol. I don't believe them. I think the cabbies are just trying to help me get used to the Beijing heat.


Three, embrace the heat and dine al fresco. All of a sudden, the pavements of Beijing are filled with tables spilling out of restaurants. Just three months ago, if someone told me to go for al fresco dining here, I would probably tell them to go suck my thermometer. But now, wow, it is like no one is eating indoors anymore.

To fit in, I decided to have drinks outdoors the other day at Fez Bar (10-6559-6266), a chic watering hole at the historic Legation Quarter. If the place was charming and serene in the day, it was also charming and serene at night.


The bar takes on a Moroccan theme, which means that I have absolutely no idea what it means. But there were a few tents and some days beds, giving some sort of Arabian flavour. Set on the third floor, the bar offered a nice view of the peaceful Legation Quarter, especially on a quiet warm summer weeknight. Enjoy the view!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

"An Arabian flavour"? Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about even though you got your face wiped in a camel's a**e. Better stick to writing about dimsum using soccer metaphors. BTW I ate dimsum when back at Club Chinois..its a very good deal. $24 bucks for double-boiled soup, fried rice with abalone, aloe vera/lime sorbet dessert and UNLIMITED dimsum. Nice one somemore.

Macgen said...

Seriously, slurping all that Arabic saliva must have left you slightly dumb. How much more can you eat after your soup, fried rice and sorbet? You got conned.